The name Immingham is thought to mean the "Homestead of the people of Imma"; Saint Andrew's church dates to the early medieval period, with much of the structure dating to the 13th century, with parts of the nave as early as the 11th or 12th century.The tower was constructed in the 16th/17th century, to a similar design to that found in nearby Aylesby, Wootton and Healing. A decorated octagonal font in the church dates to the 15th C.The docks were connected to their primary supply of labour in Grimsby by the Grimsby & Immingham Electric Railway, opened 1912.As part of the development of the new port some wood framed, corrugated iron clad housing was constructed; several of these survived to the 21st century, and one of these dated 1907 is now a listed structure.
The Immingham Ward of North East Lincolnshire Council includes Stallingborough, Healing and Habrough.
The parish had an area of 3,195 acres (1,293 ha) which was mostly good grazing land – much of which was owned by the Earl of Yarborough.
A railway line to the northwest, the Barton and Immingham Light Railway was opened in 1912.
By the early 1930s housing development was scattered across several locations: most was along Pelham Road, of which the majority was east of the original village (St Andrew's church), centred around the County Hotel, and close to the dock estate; further development had taken place south and south east of the church, also on Pelham Road, in two locations each centred on one of the two nonconformist chapels.
Almost all the housing was terraced, with the more generous ground plans found moving southwest along Pelham Road.